the Clubhouse Forum Index ...Disney spoken here, friends made here...

FAQ
FAQ
Search
Search
Register
Register

the Clubhouse Store
Hurricane Relief Fund Drive

Donation Links

Chronicles of Narnia

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    the Clubhouse Forum Index -> The Entertainment Center
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ddoll

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:09 pm    Post subject: Chronicles of Narnia Reply with quote

Has anyone else seen this yet? I'm so excited about it. I want someone to dish about it with me.

DH and I took DS to see it last night. We all loved it! I think it's destined to become a classic movie. The emotion, the special effects, the acting...all top notch. They were able to get all three of us to tear up, yell and sit on the edge of our seats.

Oh, and it was number 1 in the box office this weekend.

"Forgive your enemies. It messes with their heads."
ChrisR

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the review, Deb. Tomorrow is "baby day" at our local cineplex, where you can bring babies in, and Chronicles of Narnia is the feature. We are going to see if Nick can tolerate being a theatre that long.

-ChrisR
kathi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure I'm going to see it. I was a big fan when I was a kid and I'm not ready to see it differently than my imagination pictured it.

Of course, that could all change once I start reading all the glowing reviews like ddoll's.

Kat - are you going to see it?

kathi
View user's profile Personal Photo Album Send private message Visit poster's website
Kat

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely am going to see it. A friend of mine sent me this link http://www.narniaweb.com/reviews.asp last week, when it was just people who had seen pre-screenings of it. Person after person- all diehard fans- have said that the movie is actually BETTER than the book. Shocked This friend saw a matinee of it yesterday, and he IM'd me today to tell me, in the largest font he could manage, to go see it.

I was nervous about what Disney would do to it, but it appears that although there are a couple changes from the book, they are mainly to help the characterization along, and are minor and necessary. So I'm going to risk it.

"Nice is different than Good" -Stephen Sondheim, _Into The Woods_
BillJ

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kathi wrote:
I was a big fan when I was a kid and I'm not ready to see it differently than my imagination pictured it.

This is exactly why I haven't seen those Lord of The Rings movies.
AZMouseFan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are big fans of the series and truly enjoyed the movie. They did a great job with casting and stuck to the story quite well. There are of course pieces missing but nothing that ruins the story. Go and enjoy!

No trip planned, but we can dream can't we?!!
View user's profile Personal Photo Album Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
VeronicaG

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also loved the stories when I was a kid.My husband and sister have never read any of them Shocked I am not sure if I want to see it at all. Your good raves about it have got me curious though,so I may have to take the chance. I will probably have to go and see it alone. No one (including my son) wants to go see it with me. They are not interested in the story Sad

VeronicaG
Yzma

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Livy and I went to see it on our snow day last Friday and both really enjoyed it. Even though it's a fairly long movie she didn't fidget. The kid actors were very good and not saccarine at all. I would highly recommend it.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
AndyL

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prolly, it'll be a series like the Potter films. With luck the story telling will be as good or better since they had the Potter & LOTR films to set an example for film making.
WillCAD

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've never read a Narnia book, so when I see it, and I plan to at some point, I'll be able to judge the movie on it's own merits first, then probably read the book later for comparisson.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WillCAD wrote:
Well, I've never read a Narnia book, so when I see it, and I plan to at some point, I'll be able to judge the movie on it's own merits first, then probably read the book later for comparisson.

I'd never read the books wither, Will. But I think I will now. I bought The Lion The Witch and the Wardrobe for DS already. I know he's gonna want to read the rest now.

"Forgive your enemies. It messes with their heads."
Kat

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We finally went to see this yesterday, for my birthday.

I really liked it, but I wasn't as awed by it as some. It was beautiful, and the special effects are amazing- I love, love, LOVE what they did with Aslan and Mr and Mrs Beaver. I also loved that the kids acted like real kids. But although it was good and well worth the price of admission, it didn't live up to all the hype, to me. Having said that, though, I will say that it was 1000 x's better than I thought Disney would do on it. Laughing

Kathi: Of the small changes they made to the story, there was only one that really bothered me. At the end of the battle, after Lucy heals Edmund, they skipped the part where Lucy then had to be reminded that others needed healing, and the line about how many more had to die for her brother that day. Instead, she apparently got the idea on her own and cheerfully skipped off to help them. Not a real big deal, but something moving that I missed from this version.

Sheri

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Count me as never having read the books either. I have no idea why not to be honest! It's very weird too because Meaghan, my 16 year old, has had the books for a while now - she is an avid reader but this is just not her genre, she loves fantasy, but never was able to get into LOTR or Chronicles of Narnia, despite having started them both several times over. Funny, isn't it? I did enjoy LOTR so maybe I will read the Chronicles this winter.

Lindsay and I went to see this Friday night and I must say that I totally forgot I was watching a Disney film!!! I'm not sure what I mean by that, but I'm sure those who have seen it can relate. Probably because it is not a story we relate to Disney. Anyway, we loved it!!! The visual was beautiful and the story compelling. Highly recommended. The witch was quite frightening and Aslan was just remarkable. The children I thought were very good although the oldest daughter did get on my nerves a bit, is she supposed to acccording to the books?

Go and see it, a refreshing film!

Sheri
Kat

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sheri: Susan is annoying in the books, but differently Wink I think they modernized it a little- Susan was worried about appearances and what was "proper", she definitely wasn't a brain.

Sheri

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kat - I think you've put your finger on what it is - the movie was wonderful, yes, but what makes me want to read the books is sort of a missing connection to the setting, time and place, culture, society. You get a bit of it in the beginning, obviously, for time period, but you really don't get any feel of the culture or mores of the time. There it is, now Susan's behavior makes a bit more sense in the scheme of the story.

I'll be honest, I am so torn about reading these. It's silly but it was nice to see a film with no preconceptions! I was surprised, worried, thrilled - all because I had no idea what to expect!

Decisions, decisions!!!

Sheri
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    the Clubhouse Forum Index -> The Entertainment Center All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: