the Clubhouse Forum Index ...Disney spoken here, friends made here...

FAQ
FAQ
Search
Search
Register
Register

the Clubhouse Store
Hurricane Relief Fund Drive

Donation Links

Crock Pot Cookery
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    the Clubhouse Forum Index -> The Bistro and Cafe
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sheri

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 8:46 am    Post subject: Crock Pot Cookery Reply with quote

Ok - let's have them - easy and delicious please! I am buying one this weekend, with my youngest getting busier I don't want to resort to take out and I need about 3 nights of quick meals so I figured the crock pot was the way to go.

Never used one!

So, what do I buy (feeding a hungry family of 4)?

Any good and easy recipes or links to such will be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks!!

Sheri
Cruella

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dahling, get a crock pot that has a stoneware liner that comes out. That way you can put something together the night before and keep it in the fridge until morning and pop it into the crock pot, turn it on and leave! I have 3 crock pots of various sizes. They are all Rival. I have used crock pots of different brands but the Rivals seem to be the best. That is just my opinion though. You would be surprised at how much it takes to fill the biggest crock pot. Depending on what you want to prepare you may want 2 sizes, the standard size and a bigger one.

You can make just about anything you want in a crock pot. My favs are stew, corned beef, roast beef, swiss steak, meatballs, meatball stew, stuffed cabbage, chili, goulash, sloppy joes, pork roast, sweet and sour chicken, chicken and rice, and soups. My husband likes short ribs cooked in a crock pot. You can even make mac and cheese, my friend does, I've never tried it.

I would buy the biggest crock pot for now, that way you will have leftovers that you can freeze and have reappear in a new incarnation.

The best thing about a crock pot is you come home and the house smells wonderful and you feel like half the battle is over because dinner is done. Everything will hold for a long time in a crock pot too.

Happy cooking!!

Ta ta, Cruella
Sheri

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you suggest round or oval or does it matter? I am interested in cooking something like an oven stuffer roaster without having to cut it up.

Thanks!
Cruella

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not too sure if it matters. An oval crock pot will accommodate a chicken for sure. The big Rival one will also. If you think you will be making a lot of whole chickens then an oval may be the most appropriate for you.

Ta ta, Cruey
AZMouseFan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sheri, you should be able to find cookbooks that are all crock pot recipes and your new crock pot might come with its own small cookbook (I have a West Bend slowcooker and it came with a small book) You can also go to savingdinner.com and check out a free sample of a crockpot recipe.

No trip planned, but we can dream can't we?!!
View user's profile Personal Photo Album Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
GloriaK

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok....here are a couple of links for crockpot recipes. You will find just about anything your little heart desires.

http://southernfood.about.com/library/crock/blcpidx.htm

http://www.cookingcache.com/crockpot.html

Last edited by GloriaK on Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Personal Photo Album Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
Sheri

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gloria, that is wonderful, thank you!

I am now the proud owner of a red Rival 5.5 quart oval Crock Pot! It has made it out of the box, which is a big step for me ha ha ha!

I have even taken a frozen oven stuffer roaster out of the freezer and placed it into the fridge for future use this week - another giant step for me!

Gloria, I will be perusing these recipes for a while - thank you!

Thanks,
Sheri
kathi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an oval Rival crock pot and use it to make "meat" when we are having company. (Since I am a vegetarian - I don't make meat all that often). The two things that I make to rave reviews are pot roast and turkey breast.

The pot roast is easy. You put a bottle of beer, a package of onion soup mix and the roast. Add some black pepper and onions. Turn it on low and walk away for about 8 hours.

Turkey breast I use a special recipe I found on FoodTV a few years ago for turkey cutlets in the oven. You make a paste of finely chopped onion, parsley, sage, lemon zest and olive oil. You rub the paste under the skin of the turkey (ewwww) and then stuff in some fresh bay leaves. Put in the crock pot for 6-ish hours (I use my meat thermometer to be sure it reaches 170 degrees). YUM!!!

If you need more details, let me know!

kathi
View user's profile Personal Photo Album Send private message Visit poster's website
Yzma

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kathi, the turkey sounds very good. I'll have to direct Bill to your recipe.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
kathi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's smells good and everyone seems to love it. (As a vegetarian, I actually don't know what it tastes like).

I'm going to try it on a full sized, in-the-oven turkey at Christmas. My mom is always in charge of the turkey (because a whole turkey carcass makes me gag). But I'll make the paste and get the bay leaves and somone else can stuff it under the skin (ewwww). It makes the house smell wonderful also!

kathi
View user's profile Personal Photo Album Send private message Visit poster's website
LuvmeDisney

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a little trick I tried and it worked! When I make a meatloaf, I like to make a couple at a time and freeze them. I then put a frozen one in the crock pot in the morning and turn on low, and by dinner time, it's perfect.

Linda
Cruella

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda dahling, do you bake your meat loaf before freezing it or is it still uncooked before it goes in the crock pot? Do you add anything else to the crock pot or do you cook the meal loaf all by itself?

Ta ta, Cruey
LuvmeDisney

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prebake them, freeze them (don't forget to label!), and put it in by itself. I don't remember if I tried it with veggies (the over 40 memory thing you know Smile.)

Linda
Cruella

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks dahling, I will have to give that a try. I think I'll toss a couple of potatoes in with the meat loaf, they can "bake" together.
Ta ta, Cruey
JoeH

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok you crock pot experts, a question: usually when I cook meat in a crock pot it dries out (sorry kathi, I'm a carnivore). Now, I will admit things might stay in the pot for 9 to 10 hours, would that make the difference? I would love to do more in one, because it would make the whole dinner thing a bunch easier. Any thoughts?
Thanks
Joe
kathi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too long = dry meat. Brian wants to get me a crock pot with a timer for Christmas since sometimes I totally blow the timing and meat is a bit dry.

I'm making a big pot roast in my crock pot tomorrow for my dad's 83rd birthday celebration! (He is a WWII vet).

kathi
BillJ

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cruey,

I am doing meatballs in the crockpot tomorrow... can you give me your recipe ?

Bill
BillJ

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GloriaK wrote:
Ok....here are a couple of links for crockpot recipes. You will find just about anything your little heart desires.

http://www.cookingcache.com/crockpot.html

What a GREAT site, GK!

I have to make chili for a church event tomorrow night... now I know what I am making!

Bill
Cruella

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill dahling, I kind of cook by feel, but the basic recipe is this:
a couple of pounds of ground round, a cup or so of bread crumbs. If you don't have any, just toss some bread in the food processor and voila.. instant bread crumbs. I use an onion soup envelope, brand is unimportant. I either press a clove of garlic or if I don't feel like messing around, I will use a dash (maybe 1/2 teaspoon) of garlic powder. I add a diced onion to the mix. Add an egg. If you'd rather, you can subsitute Scottish oatmeal for the bread crumbs. It has a very fine texture. Then you just mix it up and make meatballs, I make mine about the size of a quarter.

If you want nice round meatballs you can bake them in the oven on a cookie sheet that has sides. After they are cooked just add them to the crockpot.

The gravy is pretty easy, you can open a couple of jars of brown gravy and add a dash of garlic powder, and a little bit of soy sauce...or you can use the gravy in the envelopes, still add the garlic and soy sauce. Either way, I add a little extra water. Sometimes, just for something different, I'll add a can of cream of mushroom soup to the gravy. It's all a matter of what you want. Crowds like both versions. Cook everything on low for maybe 5 hours. The meatballs and gravy get better the longer they are cooked.

I am assuming you want regular meat balls, but I also have recipes for sweet and sour, swedish and stroganoff meatballs if you are interested.

Ta ta, Cruey
kathi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who knew Cruella was the Queen of meat balls? I think we may need all the recipies!! (I'm just going to substitute burger crumbles for ground beef.) I LOVE meatless meat balls!!

I also still need to try Twinks' funeral potatoes. Maybe this weekend....I'm hungry...

kathi
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    the Clubhouse Forum Index -> The Bistro and Cafe All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: