the Clubhouse Forum Index ...Disney spoken here, friends made here...

FAQ
FAQ
Search
Search
Register
Register

the Clubhouse Store
Hurricane Relief Fund Drive

Donation Links

What Are You Reading Now?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    the Clubhouse Forum Index -> The Entertainment Center
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flounder

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cruella wrote:
This Lord Foul's Bane, is that a mystery or sci-fi?

Actually, Cruey, it's "none of the above." It's a "High Fantasy," where the main character can be described as an anti-hero. In a nutshell, Thomas Covenant was a best selling author, with a wife and new child, who fell ill with leprosy. (The book was written when there was still no cure for leprosy.) So his wife leaves him, and takes their son. Covenant believes he deserves it. Then there are a series of times where he gets bumped on the head, falls unconscious, and winds up in an alternate world called The Land, where he's greeted as a hero. If I say "he behaves badly," I'll probably win the understatement of the year award.
Cruella

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks dahling, it sounds like something either my husband or I would like. I love it when we can share books.
Tat a, Cruey
Jimtravelfan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Just got back from choir rehearsal.

Today I finished *Blood Rites*, the sixth book in the Harry Dresden files. Dresden, a professional wizard/private eye, fights supernatural baddies in Chicago, sort of the adult Harry Potter.

I started Tad Williams' *City of Golden Shadow*, the first book in the Otherland series. Good story so far (page 125 of 770). I returned *Blood Rites* to the library and picked up two more books that I'd requested and that had come in:

*Four To Score* by Janet Evanovich.
*The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress* by Robert A. Heinlein.

Jim
Jimtravelfan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again,

I finished *City of Golden Shadow*, the first book of Otherland by Tad Williams. Very inventive storytelling! I enjoyed the story very much.

*Four to Score* is another hilarious romp through the mean streets of Trenton, NJ with struggling bounty hunter Stephanie Plum. Things happen to her that happen to no one else, but if nabbing fugitives was an easy job, Janet Evanovich wouldn't have written eleven books in the series.

Robert A. Heinlein was a fantastic SF writer, and 1966's *The Moon is a Harsh Mistress* is considered his finest work. Well done! Excellent revolution story told in the first person.

Now reading *Flowers for Algernon* by Daniel Keyes. Though not strictly science fiction, the 1959 novel, Keyes' first, concerns the story of a 32-year-old retarded man from Brooklyn, a lab mouse named Algernon, and experimental surgery to increase intelligence. It is the book under discussion at the October meeting of the Philadelphia Science Fiction Society.

Coming up: A two-omnibus collection of the Garrett, P.I. novels by Glen Cook that I got for $24.99 plus $4.49 shipping from the SFBC. Also, *The Second Chronicles of Amber* which I've yet to receive but that I'm sure will arrive soon.

Jim
WillCAD

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim, just in case you didn't know, "Flowers for Algernon" was made into a terrific movie in 1968 called "Charly", starring Cliff Robertson.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0062794/
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0002KPHWY/qid=1128049641/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-2554903-2156049?v=glance&s=dvd&n=507846

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jim! The Second Chronicles of Amber is where I took my original nick from: Merle. Actually, I think the Second Chronicles is inferior to Corwin's tale. Entertaining still. I love Zelazny's narative style, and there are some great quotes.
Jimtravelfan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Finished *Flowers for Algernon* and returned it to the library on September 30, 2005. Great book, very sad story. May be a cautionary tale. Don't mess with what God gave you, even if it's very little.

Reading *The Garrett Files*, part of a two-book omnibus of the first six Garrett, P.I. novels by SF/fantasy writer Glen Cook. This one contains "Sweet Siver Blues" (1987), "Bitter Gold Hearts" (1988) and "Cold Copper Tears" (1988).

Jim
Jimtravelfan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Reading the second part of Glen Cook's Garrett omnibus. *Garrett, P.I.* (I'm sure the man has a first name, but it has yet to be revealed) contains "Old Tin Sorrows" (1989), "Dread Brass Shadows" (1990) and "Red Iron Nights" (1991).

Upcoming: a lot. The guy who drives the bus I take home from the train station gave me a book whose title escapes me because I have misplaced the book. It's a legal thriller like John Grisham's books.

I went to my local library's semiannual book sale after work (I did about six hours overtime) and got quite a haul of used books for $5.50. All but one are hardcover science fiction.

Roger Angell--*The Summer Game* (paperback)
Robert Silverberg--*Star of Gypsies*

Edited by Donald A. Wollheim:
The 1973, 1975, 1978, 1980, and 1985 Annual World's Best SF. I may already have the 1985 edition.

In the mail from Science Fiction Book Club I got Roger Zelazny--*The Second Chronicles of Amber*

Jim
Jimtravelfan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Finished *Garrett, PI* (see above) and found the book that my shuttle bus driver had given me that I had misplaced. It's called *The Deal* by Sabin Willett, a story about an $840 million buyout of a rival law firm, and a typo that leads to death and betrayal. Pretty good book so far; I'm only on page 144 of 483.

Next up is Stuart Woods' *Deep Lie* and then the Zelazny.

Jim
Yzma

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,

I don't know much about baseball, but I've always enjoyed Roger Angell. Very elegant writing.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
Cruella

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimtravelfan wrote:

I went to my local library's semiannual book sale after work (I did about six hours overtime) and got quite a haul of used books for $5.50. All but one are hardcover science fiction.

I went to our library's book sale last week and came home with 48 books. I got some thrillers, some classics and some fluff. That should keep us off the streets for a while. Laughing I spent a whole $12.50. Shocked Some of the books were brand new, I love the book sales at the library.
Ta ta, Cruey
BillJ

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't posted in this thread in a while. but since September I have read:

"Dies The Fire": SM Stirling
"The Protector's War": SM Stirling
"Harlequin's Children": Larry Niven
"A Crown of Slaves": David Weber

and I am currently reading:

"The End of The Beginning": Harry Turtledove

Next in the qeue is:

"The Guns of Independence: Weapons of the Siege of Yorktown"
Jimtravelfan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Finished Sabin Willet's *The Deal*, an excellent story. Then read Roger Angell's *The Summer Game*, actually a series of articles and essays he wrote about baseball between the years 1962 and 1971. Yes, Yzma, his writing is elegant and immediate; he makes you feel as if you're right there with him.

Want to read the books that I got from the book sale (Cruey, 48 books for $12.50? Whoa!) before tackling the latest Garrett, P.I. novels I got from SFBC. Now reading *Star of Gypsies* by Robert Silverberg, set in the 32nd century about a Gypsy king who had abdicated and wants his throne back.

Next in the queue is *The 1973 World's Best SF* edited by Donald Wollheim.

Jim
Jimtravelfan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again.

Finished the ten very good stories in "The 1973 Annual World's Best SF" and am now reading "The 1975 Annual World's Best SF".

Jim
kathi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read something years and years ago by Robert Silverberg...can't remember what. I'll have to think on it.

My friend Eric gave me a trilogy a few weeks ago that I just started. It is by a new writer, Lian Hearn. The first book is called "Across the Nightingale Floor" the series is called "Tales of the Otori. It's sort of Fantasy meets kung-fu. Not the best books I've ever read, but interesting.

kathi
View user's profile Personal Photo Album Send private message Visit poster's website
BillJ

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished Vince Flynn's "Consent To Kill"

Interesting enough, albeit very standard CIA-assassin-hell-bent-on-revenge stuff.

Basically, the hero, Mitch Rapp, is a CIA assassin... um, "counter-terrorism operative" whose exposure by a rogue politician has led to the murder of his pregnant wife in what was meant as as an assassination attempt against him.

Rapp is as unconsolable as you might expect, and proceeds to kill everyone that had anything to do with the murder.

Not a challenging read... but you wouldn't read Vince Flynn's stuff if that is what you wanted.

This was Flynn's sixth or seventh novel, all of which have Mitch Rapp as the central character.

If you like shoot 'em ups with clearly defined good guys and bad guys, you might find this a pleasant way to spend a few hours.

Not for the squeamish.
BillJ

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ijust started reading Tim LaHaye's first "Left Behind" novel.

I am reading it as research for an adult sunday school class that I will be teaching starting in february.

So far, it isn't the most complicated read ever... indeed it is rather heavy handed, but I can't imagine that this was not the intention of the author.

More when I finish.
Kat

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a whole pile of books for Christmas. So far, I've read Sorcery and Cecelia or The Enchanted Chocolate Pot by Patricia Wrede and Caroline Stevermer which was great- a Regency with magic, what more could I ask for? LOL And then A College of Magics by Caroline Stevermer, which was also set in an alternate timeline, this time Edwardian. One reviewer claimed the book was a step up from Harry Potter, which it wasn't, but it was interesting, with a complicated plot that kept me guessing what was going on right to the end.

"Nice is different than Good" -Stephen Sondheim, _Into The Woods_
Sheri

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill,

I did read several of the Left Behind series a few years back. You will probably find them very very quick reads. I thought the concept was fascinating but truly after a couple of the books I thought they were too predictable and (no offense to any religion intended) the characters got too boring. I can't remember which book I stopped at...I think right before the rise of the anti Christ.

Anyway, they are great books to spur discussion, sounds like an excellent choice for your purposes.

Sheri
SusanP

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillJ wrote:
Ijust started reading Tim LaHaye's first "Left Behind" novel.

I am reading it as research for an adult sunday school class that I will be teaching starting in february.

So far, it isn't the most complicated read ever... indeed it is rather heavy handed, but I can't imagine that this was not the intention of the author.

More when I finish.

At least you started when the whole series is finished...I read the first 7 or so borrowed from someone...each in little more than a day, I might add, then had the tortuous wait for each following book to be written! Great reading for a technogeek, though you aren't into much of that yet.

Certainly a page turner-and if you have notes...I'd love to take your class...
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    the Clubhouse Forum Index -> The Entertainment Center All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12
Page 12 of 12

Jump to: