Search
Register
Register

the Clubhouse Store
Hurricane Relief Fund Drive

Donation Links

What Are You Reading Now?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    the Clubhouse Forum Index -> The Entertainment Center
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BillJ

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished Eric Flint's: "The Rivers of War"

An alternate history of the War of 1812... the breakpoint with actual histor takes place when in real histroy, young Sam Houston SHOULD have taken a grievous arrow wound in the groin during the battle of the Chippewa, he only get slightly wounded and after his recovery, he distinguishes himself while breaking the British assault on the U.S. Capitol, durig their 1814 raid.

Houston comes to the attention of Andrew Jackson, and is influential in the successful defense of New Orleans t the end of the war.

The main premise of the book is the fact that without assistance from the Cherokee and to a lesser degree, the Chctaw indians, the British would have been more successful in the war, thereby choking our fledling republic.

In this timeline, the trail of tears isn't likely to happen.

I hope Flint writes more in this vein.
Jimtravelfan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

*Cordelia's Honor* was a great book. Great storyline and characterization; I found myself rooting for Aral and Cordelia to kick butt, and they (well, mostly she) did.

*Summer Knight* is the fourth of six books in the Harry Dresden Files by Jim Butcher. Dresden, the only practicing professional wizard in Chicago, fights off supernatural nogoodniks while dodging trouble from magic laws' ruling body. In this one, the delicate balance in the land of Faerie between Summer and Winter is upset, with potentially catastrophic consequences, when someone kills the Summer Knight. Whodunit? And why? The first three books, *Storm Front*, *Fool Moon* and *Grave Peril*, are in an SFBC omnibus entitled *Wizard For Hire*.

What can you say about Stephanie Plum? Raunchily hilerical. I just read Janet Evanovich's first Plum novel, *One for the Money*. Unemployed and destitute Trentonian Jersey girl becomes a bounty hunter and all heck breaks loose.

Next up: *The Great Philadelphia Fan Book* by Glen Macnow and Anthony Gargano, a dive into the psyche of the Philadelphia sports fan. In New England, the Red Sox finally broke an 86-year-old curse last year, but I don't think those of us in Philly believed that The Curse of the Bambino was anything but a media creation. This book explains why.

Jim
kathi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so glad that you enjoyed Cordelia's Honor...I thought it was a great book also. Keep going with the series, you should like them also!

kathi
View user's profile Personal Photo Album Send private message Visit poster's website
johnnyblack

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. TV Guide cheers
2. Entertainment Weekly elefant
3. Smithsonian Magazine farao
4. Playboy--yes--I read the articles!!! albino
5. People yoda
6. Courier Post cyclops
7. Trentonian thumleft
8. Orlando Sentinel disneyballon
9. I am trying to read the scripts of the next 2 shows I am directing. I guess I should do that before auditions. Razz

"Leave the gun, take the cannollis"
Jimtravelfan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I went to the library last night and checked out four more books and requested two others.

The books I checked out were:

*Falling Free* by Lois McMaster Bujold (might as well begin at the chronological beginning, as the events in this book occur some 200 years prior to those in *Cordelia's Honor*).

*Death Masks* by Jim Butcher, the fifth book in the Harry Dresden files.

*Ill Wind* by Rachel Caine, subtitled as *Book One of the Weather Warden Series*.

*Lord Foul's Bane* by Stephen Donaldson. Might as well meet Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever.

The two books I requested were available at other Camden County (NJ) library branches and are currently in transit to the main branch:

*Two For The Dough* and *Three To Get Deadly*, both Stephanie Plum mysteries by Janet Evanovich.

Jim
kathi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish you better luck with Thomas Covenant that I had. I have tried to get through that series about 4 times and I just can't take that whiny, horrid man.

I much preferred his two-book series "Mirror of her Dreams" and "A Man Rides Through". Still full of whiny, confused and damaged characters, but a better story, IMO.

Have you ever read anything by Tad Williams? They are BIG BIG reads but wonderful books. He has two series. Memory Thorn and Sorrow (which starts with "The Dragonbone Chair" and the Otherland series (can't remember what the first book is called). The first series is pure fantasy. Otherland is Cyber-fiction/fantasy. Strange, but well done.

kathi
View user's profile Personal Photo Album Send private message Visit poster's website
Debster

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had plenty of time to read this summer

Dorothea Benton Frank
Isle of Palms
Sullivan's Island
Plantation

G A McKevett
Sour Grapes
Death by Chocolate
Bitter Sweets
Cereal Killer
Killer Calories
Cooked Goose

Alenander McCall Smith
The Full Cupboard of Life

John Grisham
The Broker

James Patterson
Lifeguard

Jimmy Buffet
A Salty Piece of Land

Janet Evanovich
Eleven on Top

Am now reading
Dean Koontz's Frankenstein Prodigal Son to be followed by City of Night
rocking chairs
soft pretzels
and life
Yzma

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Shadowplay" The Hidden Beliefs and Coded Politics of William Shakespeare," and the new translation of Proust's "Swann's Way." (I'm always encouraged that it took decades for Virginia Woolf to get through "Remembrance of Time Past." There's still hope!)

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
Flounder

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimtravelfan wrote:

*Lord Foul's Bane* by Stephen Donaldson. Might as well meet Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever.

Be prepared to hate his guts. If you can get past the fact that Covenant isn't very well behaved, Donaldson's writing is absolutely riveting. Better have a dictionary ready at hand though, as I think the man ate one. Every other page, I come across some word and say, "Huh? Never saw that one before!"

I'll be very interested to read your comments on this one.
Jimtravelfan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I finished *The Great Philadelphia Fan Book* and now have a greater understanding of why we're extraordinarily bitter sports fans. Well written treatise on our relationship with the Eagles, Flyers, Phillies and Sixers. A curse? One World Series championship in 122 Phillies seasons would seem to indicate that by comparison, Red Sox Nation got off easy.

Boy, can Lois McMaster Bujold write! *Falling Free* is her fourth novel. Well researched (real science in her fiction) and paced, great character development, and suspense. Sound like a scratched CD, don't I?

Just started (page 2 of 378 in paperback) *Death Masks*, Jim Butcher's fifth Harry Dresden novel.

Next up:

Ordered the Garrett, P.I novels by Glen Cook (in omnibuses) last night from SFBC. Looking forward to them, as I like mysteries.

*Ill Wind* by Rachel Caine.

I'll be sure to take Flounder "Boom, baby!"'s advice to find a dictionary before tackling *Lord Foul's Bane*.

Went to the library after work today to drop off *Falling Free* which I finished in less than 20 hours, and picked up *Two For The Dough* and *Three To Get Deadly* by Janet Evanovich.

Jim
Jimtravelfan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Finished *Death Masks* by Jim Butcher, the fifth book of the Harry Dresden Files, and have checked out from the library the sixth novel in the series, *Blood Rites*. Dresden is sort of an adult Harry Potter. Butcher released the seventh book in the series this year.

*Ill Wind* by Rachel Caine tells the story, in the first person, of Joanne Baldwin, a Weather Warden, one who can magically control water and wind, who is on the run after murdering the most powerful Weather Warden in the world. Was it premeditated or in self-defense? Read all about it!

I finished Stephen R. Donaldson's *Lord Foul's Bane* today, even reading the seven-page glossary. He writes extremely well even after swallowing an unabridged dictionary. However, his protagonist, Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever, is, in short, an uncouth lout of a posterior orifice; several times I wanted to jump into the story and thrash him to within a millimeter of his miserable life. Covenant is such a golf ball (i.e., teed off) and so bitter that it is difficult to have any sympathy for the man. Yes, Flounder, I hate his not-so-celibate guts, especially after what he did to Lena. I liked the story and will continue with the series, but as long as Covenant is such a jerk, he'll be on my List of Excrement (LOE). Note to kathi: this being a family site, I liberated the dictionary of a few pages before Donaldson ate it.

*Two For the Dough*, the second Stephanie Plum novel, is at least as funny as the first, especially that scene in the beauty parlor where the old ladies are packing serious heat. I started it this morning and am nearly done (page 284 of 312).

Carry on.

Jim

Last edited by Jimtravelfan on Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Personal Photo Album Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
kathi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim -

Told you!!! Let me know if you recommend the series when you get through it. I quit shortly after the Lena incident.

kathi
Cruella

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This Lord Foul's Bane, is that a mystery or sci-fi?
kathi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantasy. The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever - it's a 3 or 4 book series. Probably written in the 70s or 80s - considered "classic reading" by fantasy readers.

Because the main character in the book is so reprehensive - I was never able to get into them. But it has been many years since I've tried. I'm sure the series is still someplace in my basement - I may dig them out over the long winter to come!

kathi
WillCAD

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just yesterday I got me a copy of the Guns of Navarone by Alastair Maclean. Yes, it is the book the movie was based on, though it was changed substantially when the movie was made. I'm only about 50 or 60 pages into it (hard to read while watching Las Vegas and CSI Miami!)

Maclean is also the author of another WWII behind-the-lines story that was made into an excellent movie - Where Eagles Dare. I have had that one in paperback for some years and it is a terrific read, so I expect Navarone to be so as well.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you'll like TGON, Will.
Jimtravelfan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

After reading *Lord Foul's Bane*, which was published in 1977, I read *Two For the Dough* and *Three to Get Deadly* by Janet Evanovich--both hilarious--and started reading the sixth book in the Harry Dresden series by Jim Butcher.

Today I went to the library to pick up another book, and I saw my bag get a Tad heavier when I picked up Williams' 770-page *City of Golden Shadow*, Book I of Otherland, on kathi's recommendation. I think I'll enjoy that.

I got an email from SFBC that my two-book set of the Garret, P.I. novels by Glen Cook was shipped yesterday.

Jim
kathi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a pretty strange series, but really good if you can stick with it. They guy has a pretty incredible imagination and his characters are very well developed. I look forward to hearing your report.

kathi

Bill - it's always good to see you respond to the massive thread YOU started!
Flounder

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Jim! Covenant doesn't really improve much, in my opinion. Since you are going to finish the series, let me know what you think of Hyle Troy in The Illearth War. Love to discuss it with you. For my own reasons, I despise Hyle Troy.

Really, it goes back to the question of ethics proposed by the old beggar. That's the key to the whole series. How you answer that question determines what you ultimately think of Thomas Covenant.

I will also point out this strange dicotomy. In the "real world," Thomas Covenant was a decent guy, who never did anything to harm anyone. But as a result of something he had no control over, everyone treats him very badly. However, in the Land, Thomas Covenant is all the things you so elloquently described. But in the The Land, due to something he has no control over - possession of a white gold ring and having lost two fingers on his right hand - people treat him very well. I find that an interesting point to ponder.
kathi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flounder (I still want to call you Merle for some reason)

Did you read the other series (Mirror of her Dreams and A Man Rides Through?)

kathi
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    the Clubhouse Forum Index -> The Entertainment Center All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 11 of 12

Jump to: