the Clubhouse Forum Index ...Disney spoken here, friends made here...

FAQ
FAQ
Search
Search
Register
Register

the Clubhouse Store
Hurricane Relief Fund Drive

Donation Links

What Are You Reading Now?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    the Clubhouse Forum Index -> The Entertainment Center
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AndyL

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK HM I'll see what I comes out of firing. I've a few pieces going into glaze fire this week and the next hopefully unless there's a lot of other people's ware going in.
BillJ

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finised a book called: Contract Warriors: How Mercenaries Changed History and The War on Terrorism.

An interesting piece, but it could have been better.

Here is my review from Amazon.com:

This was an interesting book. The writing (and editing) weren't really that great, but I was expecting a bit more substance.

The author gave an overview of mercenary operations over an extended period of history and then gave relatively short shrift to current operations, particulalry in Iraq, where PMC's (Private Military Companies) are making sinful amounts of money out of the ongoing debacle in Iraq.

The author doesn't appear to have an agenda with this book, other than to get published and make money, the sad thing is that with a little more homework and fact checking, he could have done something special.
Cruella

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am half way through Angela's Ashes. It's a sad book but very interesting as well. I am sure people here have read it, I am just now getting around to reading some of the books I've had sitting around here. I been reading other things but decided to give this one a go. I am glad I did.
Ta ta, Cruey
pinoch

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been reading Ted Dekker's books the past month or so. I started with the trilogy -- Black, Red, White. When I first picked up "Black" I really couldn't decide if I wanted to keep reading. But for some reason I did, and after the first few chapters I knew I had to keep reading.

Finished the last book of trilogy on vacation, so stopped at a bookstore and picked up "Blink" by Dekker. Read it on the plane on the way home -- funny how a 6 hour plane flight goes much quicker with a good read! The weird thing was that the characters in the book travelled over much of the same territory we had just been to in California so I could really identify with them and could picture everything. Only bad part was that plane landed in Philly when I was at the climatic point of book with only 15 pages to go -- had to wait until I got home to finish it.

Barb
Jimtravelfan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Now reading *Dune* by Frank Herbert. It's the classic beginning of the saga of the Atreides royal family who settles on Arrakis, the desert planet where water is more precious than gold or platinum. The book won the first Nebula award (given by critics for the best science fiction book of the year) in 1965. Upcoming: *Myst: The Book of Atrus* by Rand and Robyn Miller, which is the backstory to the computer game Myst, which the two brothers, through Cyan, Inc., created in 1993. Also, the 1961 Hugo (science fiction fans' annual award for best novel) Award-winning *A Canticle For Liebowitz* by Walter F. Miller. These are the three books I got at the local library's June book sale for a dollar total.

I've finally finished all the books I bought from the Science Fiction Book Club, including the eight 50th Anniversary novels originally published in the 1950s.

I then will go to my local library and use my card. I intend to get Sue Grafton's *R is for Ricochet* and a few of the books mentioned earlier in this thread.

Jim
kathi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,

I love Dune, but had a hard time getting into the rest of the series. That was YEARS ago (like probably 20) it might be worth revisting some time.

I ready Myst about 5 years ago. It was good, but not great. I love the game so that helped with the story.

I have read all of the Sue Grafton books. They are a fun, quick read. My mom is into those sorts of books so she always loans them to me when she is done.

Sounds like you had a busy summer of reading so far!

kathi
View user's profile Personal Photo Album Send private message Visit poster's website
Debster

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kathi wrote:
I have read all of the Sue Grafton books. They are a fun, quick read. My mom is into those sorts of books so she always loans them to me when she is done.
kathi

Kathi

"S" is for Silence isn't due out until 12/6/05!
I love the Kinsey Millhone series, but hate waiting between books!

Have you read the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich, same type books only Stephanie is based in Chambersburg Trenton!

Janet Evanovich's books are very similar to the Sue Grafton ones, except for hers are numbered.. the first was One For The Money.. the latest release is Eleven on Top, just released in June.

Deb
rocking chairs
soft pretzels
and life
kathi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deb,
My mom reads the Stephanie Plum books. I read One for the Money, but just didn't get into it like I did the Kinsey Milhone series. I've also enjoyed the Sara Paretsky series about a PI in Chicago and there was another series that took place in California about a PI named Kat...can't remember much else except I liked them.

A guy I work with lives right near where the Stephanie Plum books takes place. Apparantly his wife was attacked by geese in the same park that the character was also attacked by geese! Too funny.

kathi
View user's profile Personal Photo Album Send private message Visit poster's website
Jimtravelfan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kathi,

I read a lot of books after my mother read them; in fact, because I had the library card, I got a lot of books for her.

Sara Paretsky's PI is named V.I. Warshawski (sp?).

The series with the PI named Kat is written by a woman named Karen Kijewski. Kat is Kat Colorado; Kat's mom didn't remember the father's name, only that he hailed from Colorado.

Jim
Debster

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimtravelfan wrote:
kathi,

I read a lot of books after my mother read them; in fact, because I had the library card, I got a lot of books for her.

Sara Paretsky's PI is named V.I. Warshawski (sp?).

The series with the PI named Kat is written by a woman named Karen Kijewski. Kat is Kat Colorado; Kat's mom didn't remember the father's name, only that he hailed from Colorado.

Jim

Thanks Jim!

I'm going to try to find some of these on line tonight, as after the surgery tomorrow, I'll have plenty of time to read!
rocking chairs
soft pretzels
and life
Debster

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kathi wrote:
Deb,
My mom reads the Stephanie Plum books. I read One for the Money, but just didn't get into it like I did the Kinsey Milhone series. I've also enjoyed the Sara Paretsky series about a PI in Chicago and there was another series that took place in California about a PI named Kat...can't remember much else except I liked them.

A guy I work with lives right near where the Stephanie Plum books takes place. Apparantly his wife was attacked by geese in the same park that the character was also attacked by geese! Too funny.

kathi

I'm very familiar with the area, I used to work in Trenton (15 years) and have many friends that live in the Burg. Too funny about the geese!

I keep hoping Stephanie will venture out to Mastoris in one of the books!

I'm going to look for the Sara Paretsky series tonight!

Thanks!

Deb
rocking chairs
soft pretzels
and life
DocTinkStat

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just now got into the harry potter books Shocked just finished the second one
Flounder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You go, Doc! I read Half Blood Prince in two days. Silly me, now I have two years to wait.

After HBP, I made a quick read of Currahee! by Donald Burgett. He was a paratrooper in WWII, and his first book is subtitled "A Screaming Eagle at Normandy." Fast read, and a rather stark recounting of the actions of his unit, Company A of the 506th Parachute Regiment, 101st Airborn.

Now, I've taken on Harper Lee's classic, To Kill a Mockingbird. I read it once in high school, and decided it was time to read it as an adult. Truly a classic.
Jimtravelfan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Just finished the three books I had gotten in June at the library book sale for a dollar. These were *Dune* by Frank Herbert, *Myst: The Book of Atrus* by Rand and Robyn Miller, and *A Canticle For Leibowitz* by Walter F. Miller Jr. All very good.

Now have checked out two books from the Camden County Library and ordered three from Border's Express. I've just started *"R" is for Ricochet* by Sue Grafton and have *The Ringworld Engineers* by Larry Niven on tap.

The three books I have ordered from Borders Express are *Cordelia's Honor* by Lois McMaster Bujold, *Summer Knight* by Jim Butcher and *One For the Money* by Janet Evanovich.

Jim

Last edited by Jimtravelfan on Thu Aug 25, 2005 4:49 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Personal Photo Album Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
kathi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I LOVE Cordelia's Honor...one of the best books I've read in a long time. The next few in the series are also very good.

I also love Sue Grafton and Larry Niven. You have some great reading ahead of you Jim!

kathi
AndyL

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first serious movie I ever saw as a pre-teen was Alec Guinesses screen adaption of the Joyce Carey novel the Horse's Mouth. What's interesting about this is it's the only film Guiness thought was important enough to write a screen play about. It's probably the best film about the thought behind any artistic project out there IMO. Recently I found the film just released on DVD and still found it as thought provoking now as the first time I saw it in a theater. I said to myself I've got to see if the book is available still and luckily found it on eBay used (Amazon has it if you're interested in a new copy btw). I'm waiting for delivery now and have a hunch it'll have a wonderful depth of character and thought to it since Guiness could only touch the surface (and wonderfully at that) in the hour and a half a film runs.
BillJ

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LAst Night, I finished Harry Turtledove's "Setling Accounts: Drive to The East"

As usual, Dr. Turtldove does fine work!

Tonight, I started Eric Flint's "The Rivers of War"

Wooooo hooooooooooooo!

Books and vacation!
SueP

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished Good In Bed by Jennifer Weiner. I was good. About an overweight woman whose ex boyfriend turned magazine writer decides to enumerate the benefits of loving a larger woman.

Now I am reading Smart Women by Judy Blume.

As you can see I am not an overly sophisticated reader. Laughing
Jimtravelfan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I've finished *R is for Ricochet* by Sue Grafton and *The Ringworld Engineers* by Larry Niven. Next up is Lois McMaster Bujold's *Cordelia's Honor*; Jim Butcher's *Summer Knight* and Janet Evanovich's *One For The Money*. After that, it's back to the library for Two through Eleven.

Jim
kathi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I LOVED Cordelia's honor. Let me know what you thought when you are done.

kathi
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    the Clubhouse Forum Index -> The Entertainment Center All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 10 of 12

Jump to: