the Clubhouse Forum Index ...Disney spoken here, friends made here...

FAQ
FAQ
Search
Search
Register
Register

the Clubhouse Store
Hurricane Relief Fund Drive

Donation Links

Cheesecake Flan

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    the Clubhouse Forum Index -> The Bistro and Cafe
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JulieRI

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:57 pm    Post subject: Cheesecake Flan Reply with quote

This weekend I made this delicious cheesecake flan. The recipe is from a Southern Living Christmas Book for the year 2000. Everyone at worked raved about it so I thought I would share the recipe. Very very easy to make.

Cheesecake Flan

Savoring the contrast between this incredibly rich baked custard and slightly burnt-tasting caramel sauce is a delicious experience.

cup sugar
4 large eggs
3 slices white bread, crusts removed (I used Pepperidge Farm Hearty White)
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1 (8-ounce) carton mascarpone cheese (1 cup)
1 cup evaporated milk
2/3 cup water
3 tablespoons butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Sprinkle sugar in a heavy skillet. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until sugar melts and turns light brown. Remove from heat. Quickly pour hot caramel into a 9” round cakepan, tilting to coat bottom; set pan aside. (caramel syrup will harden and crack).

Combine eggs and remaining 7 ingredients in a large food processor or blender. Process just until smooth, stopping once to scrape down sides. Pour custard mixture over syrup in cakepan. Place cakepan in large shallow pan. Cover cakepan with aluminum foil. Add hot water to shallow pan to depth of 1” (Easier to add water after pan is in oven.). Bake at 350 degrees for 50 – 55 minutes or until knife inserted off center comes out clean. (Center should still be slightly liquid; flan will finish cooking as it cools.)

Remove cakepan from water bath; cool flan completely on a wire rack. Cover and chill several hours or overnight. Loosen edges of flan with a spatula, and invert flan onto a rimmed serving plate, letting caramel sauce drizzle over the top.
thumright

Enjoy.

Julie
Cruella

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds delish dahling! I will copy the recipe for future reference. Thank you for sharing it with us.
Ta ta, Cruey
ddoll

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Julie, are you secretly one of Martha Stewart's elves? That looks slightly difficult in my book! As in, I may have to use some of my Home Ec skills!!

Tell me again how easy it is? Cause it sure sounds good.

"Forgive your enemies. It messes with their heads."
kathi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, that sounds wonderful!! I love custard and I love cheescake!!!

Thanks for sharing!!!

kathi
View user's profile Personal Photo Album Send private message Visit poster's website
JulieRI

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh ddoll - it really is very easy to make. Laughing Laughing The caramel is just melted sugar you put in the bottom of the cake pan. The rest goes in the food processor and you pour it the pan. It doesn't matter too much what it looks like when it comes out of the oven since the top is really the bottom when you invert it. The hard caramel magically turns into a lucious sauce while it's baking with the custard/cheesecake.

Julie
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    the Clubhouse Forum Index -> The Bistro and Cafe All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: