Search
Search
Register
Register

the Clubhouse Store
Hurricane Relief Fund Drive

Donation Links

Travelling style

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    the Clubhouse Forum Index -> The Voting Booth
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which is your travelling preference?
The fastest route
71%
 71%  [ 10 ]
The scenic route
28%
 28%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 14

HappyCamper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:14 pm    Post subject: Travelling style Reply with quote

When you travel by car or RV, which route do you take? Do you choose to get there as quickly as possible or do you take side trips and the scenic route?

Please tell us more about your answer.

HC

The magic lives.
Cruella

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like I am the first to answer. I like to stop and smell the roses. That said I do like to get somewhere fast as well. Going to WDW or Vegas we prefer to fly.

Some of our best vacations were just having a starting point and a destination with no reservations anywhere and staying where ever and exploring areas that struck our fancy. It's hard to do that on an interstate, you have to get to the back roads, put the windows down and enjoy the ride.

Ta ta, Cruey Twisted Evil
HappyCamper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our preferences are varied, too, cru. Just Monday, we took a quick trip to Tennessee for DH's work. While that's beautiful country and I'm content to just look out the window as he drives, we did stop at the Jack Daniel distillery in Lynchberg, Tn. on the way home. I'm soooooo glad that we did. It was a free tour, (no samples, dang it!) and the heart of the old town was delightful. Sometimes, stopping to smell the roses makes all the difference, doesn't it? Life is too short ...

HC

The magic lives.
Cruella

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know HC that my inlaws lived in Florida for over 25 years? They also drove up here for a few weeks every summer. When they lived in Michigan they took their vacations in Florida. My inlaws were married for 50+ years. In all those years my MIL never once, NOT one single time saw the mountains in the day time. MY FIL always insisted on driving straight through and no matter how many times my MIL asked if they could please stop and look at towns along the way, my FIL never did. The day my MIL died, my first thought was....she never saw the mountains in the day time. Crying or Very sad How sad is that? So....please do stop and smell the roses. Life is too short.
Ta ta, Cruey

As an aside, I never knew anyone traveled like my FIL. We never took an interstate, ever. In the 1950's it took my dad a week to get to Niagara Falls from the Detroit area. He kept stopping along the way cuz he thought my mom looked "tired" and maybe they should stop and rest. It took them a week to get there! Once, as kids we went and my dad drove and it took about 5 hours on the back roads. Imagine my moms surprise. She thought it would be a really long drive. Way back in the mid-50's it was their honeymoon trip. My dad was very naughty. Wink It still laugh when I think of how gullible she was. But how sweet of a story too.
HappyCamper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful stories, Cru. Loved both of them.

HC

The magic lives.
Rosebud

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you didn't include, sometimes one, sometimes the other I couldn't pick. I don't have one travelling style. It tends what kind of trip I'm going on and how much time I have for the trip. I do however, tend to make pit stops along the way even if I'm taking the fastest route.
Fulltimemama

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really depends on the purpose of the trip. If it's a trip with a specific destination, I want to get to the destination asap. If it's a sightseeing trip, I like to take the scenic route. But I voted for the fastest because 90% of the time, we have a destination in mind.

FTM
Debster

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Travelling style Reply with quote

HappyCamper wrote:
When you travel by car or RV, which route do you take? Do you choose to get there as quickly as possible or do you take side trips and the scenic route?HC

Hey HC!

I need a both option!

I love scenic but unfortunately time, or lack of it, keeps me on the quickest route possible most days!
rocking chairs
soft pretzels
and life
HockeyMom

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I voted for the scenic route cuz that is my preference... but not one I get to indulge very often. Seems like we are often under the gun to meet a deadline... but when we're not we've been known to "go see what that is..."
Jimtravelfan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Never gone to WDW except by plane, because I cannot drive, and a train would take too long.

Jim
BillJ

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted for the fastest route... but that isn't always true with us.

We like to get off of the beaten path for many of the places we go.

When we go to Disney... I often think of places I'd like to stop... I want to show Yzma Parris Island some day where I went to Marine Corps boot camp.
I'd also like to stop and see what Camp Lejeune looks like out of my middle aged eyes (as opposed to the eyes of a 22 year old Marine).

Some day, we plan to do a vacation centered around the historic sites and battlefields of the southern theater of the American Revolution. Places like: Savannah, Charleston (I have ancestors that were captured there), The Cowpens, Guilford Courthouse, Kings Mountain, and end at Yorktown.

Having said all of that... when we go to WDW... we are all about getting there!
Timon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I've never driven to WDW, based on my travel style for every other place that I have driven, I would have to say that I'm a direct driver. I've got a destination and my intent is to get there as soon as possible. If there happens to be sites to see along the way all the better.

Make it a magical day.
Timon
Phil. 4:6-7
If you want a dog in your life get a dog.
If you want a dog in your heart get a Boxer.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    the Clubhouse Forum Index -> The Voting Booth All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: